TV mounting on plasterboard stud and brick
General problems, solutions, information and advice on fixing to walls of all kinds

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
TGRHavoc
Labourer
Labourer

TV mounting on plasterboard stud and brick

by TGRHavoc » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:45 pm

Hello,

I've recently moved into my first proper house and only just started to get into doing stuff myself. I've started learning the basics (I think) and managed to do some menial stuff like putting up a curtain pole, a cupboard, etc (never done anything like drilling before so, I'm pretty proud of what I've managed to do so far).

Anyways, I'm wanting to wall mount a TV in future (waiting for like a 52inch) and had some questions about how I would do that. The house did have two walls that were basically brick with wallpaper on. This would have been perfect to mount the TV onto because I could have just gotten some anchors to just go into the brick. However, the landlord had to insulate the house so, he covered over the brick walls with what looks like insulated plaster board. So my question would be how would I go about mounting a TV to this type of wall?

As far as I'm aware I wouldn't be able to mount the TV to the plasterboard itself so, would I have to drill through that then, into the brick? If so, then how would I mount the TV bracket to the brick that's behind the plasterboard?

thedoctor

Re: TV mounting on plasterboard stud and brick

by thedoctor » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:58 am

Hi

The Corefix fixing is designed specifically with this job in mind, we have a review on it here if you would like to find out more: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/product-re ... fixing.htm

Hope this helps

TGRHavoc
Labourer
Labourer

by TGRHavoc » Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:32 am

thedoctor wrote:Hi

The Corefix fixing is designed specifically with this job in mind, we have a review on it here if you would like to find out more: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/product-re ... fixing.htm

Hope this helps

Yeah, just a quick question. Would this work for insulated plasterboard as well because it looks like the gap would be larger with the foam behind the board?

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:23 am

Hi

Ah yes good point, unfortunately not in this case then as the gap between the brick and plasterboard face will be too large.

In this instance you will be best of using some 10mm threaded bar and resin fixing (similar to this one: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/DIY-supers ... 380ml.html). Drill out hole through plasterboard and in to brick, pump in some resin while inserting and turning threaded bar and leave to set.

Repeat for the number of fixing points required, this will provide a suitable strength fixing, but obviously involves a bit of modification so you will need to check with landlord to make sure he's happy for you do do it.

Hope this helps

TGRHavoc
Labourer
Labourer

by TGRHavoc » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:44 pm

Yeah, thanks!

Landlord did say previously that we can do whatever to the house but, I'll double check with him first.

Thanks again for the help!

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Sep 05, 2024 5:43 pm