type of wood for driveway gates
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
andyinscotland
Labourer
Labourer

type of wood for driveway gates

by andyinscotland » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:17 pm

I am about to build a set of Drive Gates and I am looking for advice on the type of wood to use. I have read a previous post that detailed the construction of the gates (motise and tenon frame, diagnol braces and facing boards rebated into frame) and am fine with this. My problem is what type of wood to use. On othe rprojects i have used timber from B a nd Q (softwood)and have had problems with warping, cupping and other related problems. Anyone with advice on type of wood to use to avoid these problems?

Thanks

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:41 pm

ideally a hard wood such as teak. wont warp or rot, has excellent weather resisting properties and doesn't even need treating in any way. however its very expensive. oak is a good alternative though it is heavy and will need good solid posts.

softwood alternative, i see on another thread that red cedar is a good softwood to use as it is resinous, therefore has higher resistance to rot than other softwoods.

billy d
Apprentice
Apprentice

drive gates

by billy d » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:00 pm

Hi Andy try Larch or douglas fir both good for out side.Get it from a timber merchant or saw mill.

andyinscotland
Labourer
Labourer

by andyinscotland » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:51 am

Thanks for your help.

Andy

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:20 pm

another tip, dont buy your timber from b&q! never! ever! if you do manage to find a straight piece it was probably meant to be curved.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:28 am

"another tip, dont buy your timber from b&q! never! ever! if you do manage to find a straight piece it was probably meant to be curved."

or any of the sheds for that matter. They're all the same.

Cheers

jase_82
Labourer
Labourer

by jase_82 » Thu May 08, 2008 6:54 pm

I fit automation t5o gates and have done for over 4 years. The best gates Ive seen that don't warp are always hardwood gates, the cheapest and best value and colour gate ive seen is made of Irocco from South Africa (Quest Timber import it), but Oak gates are also ok, but expensive.

Timbco
Labourer
Labourer

Re: type of wood for driveway gates

by Timbco » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:59 pm

[quote="andyinscotland"]I am about to build a set of Drive Gates and I am looking for advice on the type of wood to use. I have read a previous post that detailed the construction of the gates (motise and tenon frame, diagnol braces and facing boards rebated into frame) and am fine with this. My problem is what type of wood to use. On othe rprojects i have used timber from B a nd Q (softwood)and have had problems with warping, cupping and other related problems. Anyone with advice on type of wood to use to avoid these problems?

Thanks[/quote]

I would recommend a visit to your local timber merchant. You will find that in addition to selling timber they also have a wealth of knowledge and can offer excellent advice.

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 8:48 am