V.heavy cupboard on tiled plasterboard metal stud wall
General problems, solutions, information and advice on fixing to walls of all kinds

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
tmarkr
Labourer
Labourer

V.heavy cupboard on tiled plasterboard metal stud wall

by tmarkr » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:46 pm

What should I use to fix this to my bathroom wall??:

55kg cupboard (empty weight), bathroom wall is metal studs, with tiled, plasterboard..... there are no legs so its all hanging on the wall.

Have found the metal studs, and the spacing is ok so I can use studs for all the screws. Not afraid of the thing falling off the wall, but to make sure that I don't crack the tiles what should I use to fix this? Plasticboard plugs, hollow wall anchors?

If hollow wall anchors then how would this work, given that the anchor (with teeth at the back of the head) can't be bashed into tiles?!

Thanks!

marrtin
Foreman
Foreman

by marrtin » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:27 pm

The trick with fixing to tiled walls is to make sure no weight or pressure is put on the tiles. Don't use anything that expands the hole in the tile, and don't over tighten.

With hollow wall anchors I flatten the lug down first with pliers. Bit tricky to stop it spinning when fitting but can be done.

tmarkr
Labourer
Labourer

by tmarkr » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:03 pm

Understand that I have to avoid anything that expands in the tile, but once the cupboard is up, is there a risk that the tiles will crack due to the shear load on the joint?
Or am I being paranoid - once the thing is screwed up it shouldn't move anyway?!

marrtin
Foreman
Foreman

by marrtin » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:52 pm

Well there is of course some shear loading, but the weight is held mostly by friction. I hang heavy cupboards, radiators and shower seats etc on a weekly basis, and don't seem to have a problem.

You could also run a bead of silicone down the cupboard where it rests on the wall. After a few days, you could take the screws out and the cupboard would still stay up!!!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2024 8:43 pm