Can I replace long life ceiling bulbs for smaller standard ones?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Gregzilla75
Labourer
Labourer

Can I replace long life ceiling bulbs for smaller standard ones?

by Gregzilla75 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:46 pm

The attached photo shows the ceiling bulbs that have been used in my flat when I first moved in and I was wondering do I have to use these large bulbs or can I replace with compatible smaller bulbs?

Mainly asking so I can use a more discreet bulb which won't stick out so much from the light shade.

TIA.
Attachments
IMG_2082[17829].jpg

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Can I replace long life ceiling bulbs for smaller standard ones?

by Mr White » Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:37 am

You can get shorter, 3 pin LED lamps that will replace your 3 pin lamps.

The thinking was that everyone should have energy saving lamps, so to "help things along" (By stopping people from using the "normal incandescent" lamps) all new build houses had to have 3 pin lamp holders, and all 3 pin lamps made at that time were compact fluorescent (CFL)
Thing is, most people did not care for the CFL, you couldn't dim them, they never came on at 100% brightness, they cast a green or pinkish tint, so most folk did the obvious, changed any 3 pin light fitting to a regular 2 pin fitting and put in a normal 60w lamp. (What most people had) LED lamps had not yet been invented (The LED had been invented, but not the LED lamp we have today) Then the halogen lamp in a bulb took off, followed by the LED lamp we have now. (Not to mention the CFL lamp contains a tiny amount of Mercury)
If I were you, I would not wait until the 3 pin LED lamp is obsolete, I would change the light fittings soon.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Can I replace long life ceiling bulbs for smaller standard ones?

by ericmark » Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:53 am

I would agree Part L caused many problems https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/ ... lightX.pdf the extra location pin on the BA22d and the dimple on the GU10 were designed to stop people using tungsten lamps, but it was UK only so the lamps were silly prices, and the best option is to change the bulb holder where one can.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 5:26 pm