Wallpapering over cracked plaster
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
greym
Labourer
Labourer

by greym » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:32 am

There is a hairline plaster crack where the chimney runs behind a plastered wall (I assume originally caused by heat from the chimney) and when the fire is on (woodburner) the wall obviously heats up slightly and the crack expands. When it cools it contracts again and is almost unnoticable.

I want to wallpaper this wall but if I do I think the paper will just split/tear. The crack has been filled with standard filler previously but just cracks again. Would filling with flexible filler work and if so can you recommend one? Any other advice to try?

Thanks

paul the paint
Labourer
Labourer

by paul the paint » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:47 pm

rake the old filler out and re-fill, i would'nt use flexible filler as this will almost certainly sink. use a lining paper first hanging horizontaly [ 1500 grade would be ideal] and then your wallper on top. hope this is of help.

greym
Labourer
Labourer

by greym » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:12 am

[quote="paul the paint"]rake the old filler out and re-fill, i would'nt use flexible filler as this will almost certainly sink. use a lining paper first hanging horizontaly [ 1500 grade would be ideal] and then your wallper on top. hope this is of help.[/quote]

Thanks Paul. My issue is that the wall expands slightly with the heat from the chimney, which is what caused the cracked plaster in the first place and I suspect will still happen irrespective of refilling. Do you think the paper will split when this happens?

I had considered filling when the fire was lit and the wall warm but then I would potentially have other issues when the wall cooled and the plaster contracted...

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Sep 04, 2024 12:04 pm