Water Stains vs. The Landlord
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
dtoxx
Labourer
Labourer

Water Stains vs. The Landlord

by dtoxx » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:26 pm

We've just moved in to a new apartment (that is, it's new to us). The building is perhaps 30 years old and has some major signs of wear. But, the interior of our apartment is very nice and we're pleased with it.

However, the recent heavy rains in our region have revealed leaks somewhere in the front of the apartment. We're not finished unpacking, and we already have water stains in the kitchen and front hall.

I know the landlord, and can guarantee that he won't do a thing about it: "Hey, that's life, buddy." Now, since we're not in a position to move again, I need to be able to handle this on my own - I don't want to get into endless debates with the landlord about his responsibilities vs. mine vs. the state law, etc. etc. All I want to do is have a way of handling the stains. The leaks will always be there, and have probably been there for many years.

I read elsewhere that cleaning and drying the areas first, then priming with Zissner B-I-N and a topcoat of Zinsser’s Perma-White Mildew Proof Bathroom Paint would help. Can anyone confirm this, or would you have a better solution?

Again, I can't move, I can't make a fuss, the landlord won't fix it and the water will keep coming back again and again.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:05 pm

Its no good just treating the stains (see the project on blocking water stains) they will just move and eventually peel all the paint off. Get to the cause and get it fixed yourself if the landlord wont do it. It will be cheaper in the long run and will save you decorating every ten minutes.

dtoxx
Labourer
Labourer

by dtoxx » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:16 pm

OK, Doc. Thanks for the advice!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 10:58 am