Weed control for bank covered in brambles and weeds
Post your questions and find answers on all garden related topics and areas

paobrien
Labourer
Labourer

Weed control for bank covered in brambles and weeds

by paobrien » Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:11 pm

I have a large steep bank next to my driveway and it gets full of weeds, brambles and long grass. I am forever strimming it and being at an awkward angle it is becoming really annoying.

Basically I want to kill everything off on the bank for a really long time. The best way I have found to do this from searching on forums is with with ordinary salt. Salt completely changes the soil to make it unattractive for anything to grow for up to a period of two years.

Now that I have decided on a course of action, I want to know how I should apply it. Basically I can just spread a load of it onto the bank and hope for the best or I was wondering whether I could drill multiple small holes into the soil and pour salt into them.

They would then act like plugs with the salt leaching into the soil whenever it rains and making the PH of the soil change, resulting in no weeds.

I wondered if anyone has ever done anything like this before and what is the best application. Also, whether any of you think my idea of multiple plugs would work.

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:44 am