Wifi light switch,
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Steve7
Labourer
Labourer

Wifi light switch,

by Steve7 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:25 pm

Hi Team
Shelly or a SONOFF WiFi Touch Wall to run with Alexa
Im lost on the "Neutral wire required "

Pic of the switch, its a 2 gang

Im good with a screw driver, just need a clue, :)

Thank you
Attachments
IMG_7763D.JPG

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Wifi light switch,

by Mr White » Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:43 pm

"No neutral" means the device does not require a neutral to work.

99% of things require a neutral, except switches.

You may have a bigger problem.
The switch you pictured, operates a light, does this light have another switch to operate it?
Typical example, landing light, One switch downstairs, another switch upstairs. (If so, it is 2 way, not 2 gang)

All is not lost, you could change the lamp to one of these Click me and change just the lamp

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:17 pm

It seems you can use some smart switches as two way, but not hard wired as two way, the second switch just has line and neutral and you set it up with the app.

But in the main I have gone for smart bulbs.

Steve7
Labourer
Labourer

by Steve7 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:16 am

Yes the switch in the photo has another switch (2 Gang?)

It turns on 4 led G10 lights

The idea is to use Alexa to turn on those lights

Thank you for the replies,

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:36 pm

The switch you have is 2 way
I am not aware of any "smart switch" that operates as 2 way with an existing 2 way switch.
2 way switches do NOT require a neutral, so if you were to "bypass" the switch with a smart switch/shelly unit, it still would not work.
There are some "smart switches" that do not require a neutral, but these have been known to be problematic.

You do however have a couple of options:

1) Change the light fitting to a batten holder, and fit a smart lamp, after all, it is the light you want, not the fitting.

2) Have the light switch re wired (Lots of mess) to add a neutral.

3) Buy some table lights and put smart lamps in them.

Most folk use a combination of options 1 & 3

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:19 am

On another forum some one was asking how to wire a two way smart switch, it was called a 3 way switch, not a clue why as clearly a two way switch, I googled KS-641 smart and found "Milfra KS-641 Smart EU/UK 86 Style Smart Light Switch 3 Way Switch WiFi Wall Switch (4 Pack)" which seemed to be the switch being talked about.

A good way down the page there was a circuit diagram, but the question was how does it get power to work? At the end some one found another advert which seemed to show using a neutral the forum https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/use- ... 665/page-3 link may work, but since there was no reply at the end saying if they ever got it to work, I would not be too keen on using those switches.

However clearly you can get two way smart switches.

With the TCP smart GU10 bulbs I got from Screwfix you can lump them together in the app so all controlled together, I have found them to work well, turning light switches off then back on, will turn them on without using app, but only if turned off with app of course, since you can set off times, easy option is set it at a time when you will be unlikely to use room so if left one they auto switch off at that time.

The main advantage of the bulb route is you can adjust colour temperature and for very little extra also the colour, which does increase the ambiance.

My wife talks to google Nest Mini's more than she talks to me, hey google turn on landing light etc. But getting Nest to change colours has not been so easy, on/off great.

Not sure how many we have now, around 8 I think, which means anywhere in the house google responds.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Sep 08, 2024 1:10 am