Wood chisels sharpening of
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
greengrass
Foreman
Foreman

Wood chisels sharpening of

by greengrass » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:47 pm

Chisel and plane blades:

I remember watching my woodwork teachers Mr Underwood & Mr Smith Horsenden Secondary Modern back in the 50's sharpen wood & plane chisels by hand to almost shop standard but never bothered asking how its done.....

Honing:
Do you touch the blade on the oil stone on back stroke lifting on forward stroke or touch O stone both ways ?

Any one made a jig for a dry grinder for gringing the 30deg angle on chisels. Mind you pardon my ignorance what's the point of two angles?
Some say the mechanical multi sharpeners aren't as good as they sound.
One particular store has one £40 I'm tempted as I'm getting fed up with the daily grind....he! he!.

Greengrass

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:44 am

Hi Greengrass !

Get yourself a 30 degree chisel honing guide and pull the chisel over the stone, don't push. Do this several tiimes until you get the little burr showing on the back of the blade, turn it over and lay flat. Move back and forth gently until burr is gone. Repeat until you can cut paper! The dual bevel (usually 25 degrees) on the back of the main bevel allows you felibility when using a chisel to smooth a cut by hand rather than using a hammer. You nan hold the chisel in i=one hand with the fingers of your other hand pressed down on the back of the blade near the bevel, pushed gently over teh suirface a sharp chisel will smooth as a plane does but obviously with more "feel". The dual bevel allows you to tilt the blade slightly to avoid the main bevel forcing you down into teh timber deepr than you want to go when you get to an imperfection in the timber, say a knot.

greengrass
Foreman
Foreman

by greengrass » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:20 pm

Thanks Doc I'm off to the garage to put it into practice I got one of those guides somewhere.
Thanks again.
Greengrass

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Sep 14, 2024 11:30 pm