Wooden fence posts warping away from fence
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
straygoat
Apprentice
Apprentice

Wooden fence posts warping away from fence

by straygoat » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:55 am

Hello

A couple of years ago, we had a wooden fence put in. Unfortunately, the bloke that did it did not fix the posts to the fence at the top and they have warped and it is getting worse. What is the best way to address it? The posts are cemented into tarmac at the bottom, so replacing them entirely is probably something we'd rather avoid.

Would we be able to put long screws through the top and into the fence and they'd eventually go back to the proper shape? Or do they need to have the top section cut off and replaced?

Thanks

Craig
Attachments
fence-small.png

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Wooden fence posts warping away from fence

by stoneyboy » Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:54 pm

Hi straygoat
Looks like there is a top rail or arris rail on the rear of the fence, try screwing through the post (drill a clearance hole through the post) and into the top rail.
Regards S

straygoat
Apprentice
Apprentice

by straygoat » Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:50 am

Thanks! I will try that. I was worried about trying it in case it made the posts crack (more than they already have).

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:12 pm

Hi straygoat,
The timber used for your fence will be agricultural grade and would have been wet.
With the dry weather extensive cracking along the grain and around knots is inevitable - it's normal.
Regards S

straygoat
Apprentice
Apprentice

by straygoat » Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:20 am

Thanks. Do I need to seal the cracks or fill them or anything? Or can I just leave them alone?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:09 pm

Hi straygoat,
You could spray a wood preserver into the cracks but you would need to find a pump-up sprayer which can handle solvents. Do not buy water based paint/protector. Regards S

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Sep 08, 2024 3:40 am