Yellowing white paint on radiator
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
spantik
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yellowing white paint on radiator

by spantik » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:12 pm

This is the first time this has happened to me and I've done nothing different in the prep!

I rubbed down a cold, previously painted radiator (satin white) that was in good nick - just tired. I painted it with two coats of Crown white gloss - not sure if it was non drip/ solvent based/ water based - does it matter? Looked good until the radiator was switched on and now it is yellow within two weeks of use!!! Good job it's behind the bed - I am not a happy chappy (female actually).

I have read the posting to dave57 Dec 09 2010 from the shedman. Anyone in agreement/ have other ideas?

Thoroughly annoyed. :x

theshedman
Foreman
Foreman

by theshedman » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:52 am

Hi spantik, you really need to put on an undercoat before you gloss. Gloss on it's own will not do anything as it has no covering power and the yellowish colour from underneath will just bleed back through. It is just as it says a finishing coat. I usually give it one or two coats of oilbased undercoat followed by a topcoat. Waterbased gloss doesn't yellow as quickly as oilbased gloss but by the time it has yellowed it is time to redo it anyway and any paint that is behind stuff and away from natural light will yellow quicker than usual anyway.

gc1967
Ganger
Ganger

Re: Yellowing white paint on radiator

by gc1967 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:25 pm

As previously said you never paint gloss over gloss, it doesnt adhere to the surface, you need to undercoat first before putting on the gloss, and if the gloss is old that can half the problem with paint yellowing, you could always paint it with radiator paint

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:22 pm