Zone Controlling Wireless Thermostatic Radiator Valves
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Jak68
Apprentice
Apprentice

Zone Controlling Wireless Thermostatic Radiator Valves

by Jak68 » Wed May 22, 2019 1:19 pm

Hi, the company I work for has tasked me to looking into changing all of the manual thermostatic valves on the radiators to wireless ones in the meeting rooms to help control things better.
Is anyone able to recommend a system that is capable of controlling 10 zones or more at the same time?
Thanks

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Zone Controlling Wireless Thermostatic Radiator Valves

by ericmark » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:55 pm

I have been told on another forum that Hive now market a valve heat that will interact with the main thermostat causing it to start boiler if the room is too cold. However not tested.

I tried Energenie MiHome and yes it controlled the radiator, however I did not have them linked to the main thermostat, they were to work with Nest 3, but I did not install Nest 3, as far as I know although they will link, it does not permit different temperatures to each room, as it uses a follow command.

I am again told that EvoHome will allow the TRV heads to control the thermostat.

What does make a difference is does the boiler simply switch off/on, or does it modulate? If using a modulating boiler is it Open Therm or not? If not Open Therm this may limit your options.

I found although the TRV is bidirectional for them to work well, they need to be on the feed of the radiators. If not then there is a hysteresis problem, even if on the supply side, the flow needs to be controlled so there is time for the valve to react.

I carefully closed the lock shield valve until the room was maintained correctly and did not over shoot, the question is, if the standard valve had a degrees C setting rather than * 1 2 3 4 5 6 would they have worked just as good?

I had intended to fit the Terrier i30 to new house, not wifi but are electronic, however now considering the Hive, but my boiler is oil, so although modulating it only modulates between 18 and 26 kW where a gas boiler can modulate 8 to 32 kW so with gas allowing it to modulate can really save money and produce a control with is less likely to over shoot i.e. low hysteresis, where with oil it is less likely to modulate anyway.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Zone Controlling Wireless Thermostatic Radiator Valves

by ericmark » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:51 pm

I found a TRV head, two versions with blue tooth £15 without £10 I have bought 5 of the Blue tooth versions. Called eqiva they allow 3 heating phases (7 change settings) which can be selected on each day of the week.

It also has an open window function, and boost function latter open valve 80% for 5 minutes.

As yet untested as clearly too hot to need central heating, down side blue tooth can only be used with one phone, however can be manually programmed.

There is also a Terrier i30 no blue tooth but otherwise similar.

The problem of course is they don't cause the central heating to run, it has to be already running, so much will depend on boiler design and how boiler is switched on/off.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1