Boiler OK for water but turns off after 6 secs with Heating
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
SteveDeal
Labourer
Labourer

Boiler OK for water but turns off after 6 secs with Heating

by SteveDeal » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:22 pm

I've an old Glow Worm 50B boiler which functions OK when heating the water i.e. pilot light runs, main burner comes on and off as required. However when switched to the heating the boiler fires up, runs for 6 secs and then there is a big 'solenoid' click and both the main burner and pilot light go out. The pilot light can then be re-lit manually and run quite happily so I'm assuming the thermo coupling is working OK. Any ideas?

DONFRAMAC
Ganger
Ganger

Boiler OK for heating, but shuts off after ~ 6 secs on heat

by DONFRAMAC » Sun May 06, 2007 1:30 am

This looks like an over-temperature trip, such as would be caused by no-flow thro' the radiators. This could be due to a malfunction of the diverter valve;-- they can stick or wear out, or burn-out;-- not an expensive job;-- you could manage to fit a new motorised actuator yourself, or manually exercise the valve stem with the motor head removed. Any water leakage from the valve gland means a new valve, and a plumber to do the work due to the draining/refilling/priming/fresh anti-corrosion protection chemicals.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1