Fencing ideas on improving single-picket fence
Topics ranging from metal fencing, wooden fencing and concrete fencing to name just a few. find answers and post your questions here

GazzyUK
Apprentice
Apprentice

Fencing ideas on improving single-picket fence

by GazzyUK » Sun May 17, 2020 12:48 pm

Hi all,

I was looking for some inspiration on a fencing issue I've got. My garden has 3 fences surrounding it; the side and back fence belong to me (with the left side fence having a gate in it), the other (right) side fence is shared with a neighbour. The posts are in my garden and the smooth side presents outwards, and other than needing a repaint, it's in good condition.

We've been having good discussions with the neighbour since they're looking to have more privacy since the fence is a regular picket fence with just over an inch gap between each picket (a regular side is 3 posts, 3 horizontal rails going across, and the pickets nailed to those).

The neighbour doesn't want to go to the expense of erecting their own separate fence, and I suggested that if she "over picketed" her side (with the other neighbour) then I'd picket our side in the same way, creating a nice airflow. Then the practical issues come:

1) How do you do this on a gate when you have the hinge braces/latches standing proud?
2) We originally wanted to put a capping rail over the fence, but this would look silly on the left side since it'd have two pickets but only one capped?

Looking for inspiration! Many thanks in advance.

It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2024 5:45 am