Cable Management Around Boiler and CH Pipes
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
greddymop
Labourer
Labourer

Cable Management Around Boiler and CH Pipes

by greddymop » Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:13 am

Evening all,
I'm working on a renovation property, with a new boiler/cylinder installation (also with 3x zone valves for two radiator zones and cylinder heating). Photo in the attachment.

The query I'm throwing out there regards cable supports. Considering this is an exposed surface - should I be running cable trays and stand-off brackets (the green line) with stainless table ties, to hold the cabling down across the top of the CH pipework (at roughly 50mm air-gap)?

Wiring centre and nest heat-links will be in the red and blue positions.

I'm trying to bridge the immersion heater cabling across to the right side wall also (those two sockets are on a single line to the consumer, and not on a ring circuit).

Will be getting this cabling done professionally - but just throwing it out there, as I know the cable support regs have recently changed, so thought and opinions welcome!
Attachments
Boiler Cabling.jpg

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Cable Management Around Boiler and CH Pipes

by collectors » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:17 am

Look at a connection box where the motorised valve cable will all reach without having to extend them as this would be a pain extending them, all the rest should be done in a good quality heat proof cable or butal. Cable tray is a good idea or 2x2 or 3x3 trunking & tank cut some holes for glands or grommets.
Surprised they haven't lagged the pipes with the rules now days. Maybe this is to come.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Cable Management Around Boiler and CH Pipes

by ericmark » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:47 pm

I would say more important to work out what you want. As far as am am aware only EPH does Opentherm thermostats that will work master/slave, Nest does link with other Nest units or with TRV's so not suitable for a zoned central heating system.

I like Nest, my house has Nest, but I realise not the best option with zoned central heating with modulating boiler, mine is oil and does not modulate.

I have looked at options, nothing seems perfect, either silly price or does not do something so in the main we all use some compromise.

A simple bit of wood and tie wraps will hold cable.

What you need is decide your compromise.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1