How to replace a Crabtree bs3676 20ax light switch
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jannahinchliff
Labourer
Labourer

How to replace a Crabtree bs3676 20ax light switch

by jannahinchliff » Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:07 pm

I need to change my light switch as the cover is broken but I'm unsure what type of switch I need to replace it. The current switch is a Crabtree bs3676 20ax light switch, which has two brown wires, two blue wires and an earth. It's a switch for two LED lights but they are either both on or both off - is this why there are two wires?

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: How to replace a Crabtree bs3676 20ax light switch

by Mr White » Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:08 pm

What you have sounds like a "grid switch" if it is, you can just change the broken part, not the whole thing.

To find out why your switch was wired as it is, you would have to ask the person who wired it, one thing is for sure, No one on this forum wired your switch.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:46 am

As @Mr White has said, sounds likely a grid switch, and seems likely for an outside lamp, as it seems double pole, and we tend to use double pole switches for outside lights, a google seems to shown still current, so you can get just the bit which has broken.

jannahinchliff
Labourer
Labourer

by jannahinchliff » Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:16 pm

Hi, it's for powering two led spotlights from the same switch in a bathroom. It's just the plastic cover over the switch itself that's broken but I don't understand how it's possible to replace part but not all of the switch? I couldn't find one to buy either, I could only find the 10ax

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:14 pm

As I said, what you have appears to be a grid switch.
If it is and you have only broken the front you can buy a new one.

pic.jpg

Above is an example of a 2 gang cover.

If you can't find one, change the whole switch

jannahinchliff
Labourer
Labourer

by jannahinchliff » Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:37 am

I don't think I've made it clear what the switch is actually doing in my question so I've included some pictures. It's a one-gang switch not two-gang and it switches on two LED spotlights. I've asked in both b&q and screwfix and been told that these switches aren't available to buy any more as regulations have changed so I'm looking for a way to replace it. I did try wiring both blue wires into one port and both brown wires into the other port but somehow this caused the light to come on when the light switch for the other bathroom in my flat was turned on as well, so there is some connection between the two circuits. Is it going to be possible to replace this without an electrician?
Attachments
This is how the switch is wired. I believe this type of switch doesn't exist any more to buy.
This is how the switch is wired. I believe this type of switch doesn't exist any more to buy.
This is the switch as it currently is - it's a single switch that powers two LEDs. It's only one-gang
This is the switch as it currently is - it's a single switch that powers two LEDs. It's only one-gang

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:14 pm

The staff at the likes of Screwfix and B & Q (Same parent company) are NOT electricians, they are giving you incorrect information. That said, I suggest that in this case you get an electrician to do the job for you.

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2024 4:50 am