Part P Regs Help?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
si
Labourer
Labourer

Part P Regs Help?

by si » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:17 am

a friend of mine recently had his 1st fix inspection for Part P. the main route for the re-wire is through the first floor landing.

he has run his all his cables through holes in the joists, the Part P inspector has told him that he can not have any twists in the cables when running through the joists

he has told me that he has to take out all his cables and remove twists.
is this correct?

is it part of the regulations i have done a search and can't find any mention of it anywhere?

he also got told that all his cable have to be clipped to a joist, which is OK when you can get access but not when it is difficult to remove every floor board, does anyone know what is the mim requirement?

kuzz
Ganger
Ganger

by kuzz » Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:45 pm

To clip every cable is quite ridiculous. No one can expect that. But there are regulation bends you can put in a cable. If you have tight twists it may well break these regs.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:15 pm

hi si,
the regs states that pvc twin and earth not exceeding 9mm should be clipped every 250mm on the horizonal and 400mm on the vertical as far as twist in cables, I too don't think this is mentioned in part p regs but it's standard and good practise not to have twisted cables it can affect the current carrying capacity of the cable and cause over heating and damages to cables too. it does touch on this in the regs BS7671, the electricians bible.
Regards sorry can't be much more helpfull
KB
Last edited by kbrownie on Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:46 pm

Hi Si, Although the inspector is being a little harsh there is & always has been a statement in regs book that "good workmanship is essential for compliance with these regulations".
It is considered very bad practice to allow cable to uncoil from side of cable drum which is certainly why so many twists in cables.
when this happens the act of pulling through tight holes can cause internal damage/breaks in cores of cable which may not show up immediately.
No qualified electrician should ever be guilty of such practice as they would have been pulled up for it during training, one of the many short comings of non-apprenticeship type training, sorry but I absolutely agree with the inspector,
regards SPARX

Kristof
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Kristof » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:43 am

As far as twists are concerned, i also agree, however on clipping every cables that run along the joist under the floor, do all of you guys do it.. apart from junction boxes of course. I always do, say in lofts, running lighting cables, junction boxes

si
Labourer
Labourer

by si » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:25 am

Many Thanks

is there any way he can get out of this mess that he has got in to

spoke to him last night and about 15% to 20% needs to be fixed ie sort out those twists :?

could he get someone in to finish the job of? how much do you think that they would charge to finish off the rewire as he is running out of time
or is he best carrying on with it best as he can?

thanks

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:49 pm

Hi agn Si.
he will be very unlikely to find anyone willing to finish the job for him as he has demonstrated a lack of understanding of quality reqd. where it is visible so what state is the rest of it in???
Sorry but I wouldn't touch it now, also who will certify it for him? as regs say you can only sign off on work you have done 100% yourself?
Only hope now is to finish it himself & hope some unsuspecting leckie will do a 'periodic Inspection' afterwards, which is the best he can get, & at least will have something for his household records,
regards SPARX

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Jul 05, 2024 8:34 am