Central heatingw/o boiler
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jfava
Labourer
Labourer

Central heatingw/o boiler

by jfava » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:33 pm

Hi all, I'm new and don;t have experience on central heating (CH).

From what I read, i was thinking of installing a CH system without a boiler. Here's a description of what's in my mind:

I'm planning of having 2 raditors installed (downstairs and upstairs) and 1 water gas heater. The idea is to get the radiators connected directly in a closed loop to water heater via a circulation pump. Hot water will be delivered from the output of the water heating and the return lines will be fed to the inlet of the water heater. A non return valve must be fitted on the mains supply as not to pump water back. The mains supply will be fed from a water tank upstairs (2nd floor). (Water tank is used to supply both hot and cold water). Pump will work according to the thermostat control on each radiator.
Also the same water heater will be connected to the water taps in kitchen and bathroom.

Now, anybody think that this sytem will work? Will I have enough heat to warm up the house, or it's just waste of money or even a time bomb? If so please explain why?

Thanks very much

John

peter the plumber
Ganger
Ganger

by peter the plumber » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:12 pm

I normally don’t like posting on this board and this kind of post is the reason why.

This is so wrong you wouldn’t be believed.

Running radiators off water heating is illegal.

Recycling water back into a water heater is illegal

I could get into technical reasons why it’s a waste of time, but I see little point.

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:07 pm

Theory good but practice bad jfava. too lengthy to explain. I know you have no plans to recycle water back into system but if there was a backflow into the boiler you would be in trouble. Forums like this exist to help people like you understand the building process which of course you could not be expected to otherwise, Please dont be put off by people running questions like this down, many have forgotten the days when they did not know how to bleed a radiator. Suffice to say its not a good idea !!

jfava
Labourer
Labourer

by jfava » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:22 pm

Peter, my friend; luckily you’re a plumber not a social worker! Sorry I'm not as good as you! Should I post another message, not up to your standard, don't feel obliged to reply. Instead you can just bang your head to a wall thinking how intelligent you are!
Please promise me that you will not work in the tourist industry, do any social work or even a teach students (any subject). Thanks

Doc, very smart reply. Thanks anyway

peter the plumber
Ganger
Ganger

by peter the plumber » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:30 pm

I think the site has to removed or remind people that some posts on here are wrong and dangerous.

Some of them worry the hell out of me.

There a reason we have a long and hard testing process for gas and boilers, you get it wrong, you put you and your family in danger.

marrtin
Foreman
Foreman

by marrtin » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:31 am

Even assuming such a system as you describe could be built, there are several reasons why you wouldn't.

Firstly would be the cost of installing such a complicated arrangement.

Next, the cost of daytime electricity is by far the most expensive energy available. That is why we go to the trouble of using off-peak Economy 7.

Finally, the system would need such a large electrical supply it would be difficult to find a way of heating the water quickly enough to warm the room before you're ready for bed. Lol This is why all electrical heating relies on direct air heating rather than using an intermediate substance.

If you want a wet system, use gas or oil for heating the water. If you want to use electricity, use storage heaters.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1