kitchen ventilation
Information, help and advice on many architecture, self build and design problems and issues

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
CR#61
Labourer
Labourer

kitchen ventilation

by CR#61 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:48 pm

ive just built a one story exension at the rear of my property over the old footings off the out house,im driving me mate whos a builder mad with questions as im trying to do all the work meself.

so thought i try an ask a few questions elsewhere,so me question is,what ventilation do i require in the kitchen,many thanks :)

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Perry525 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:51 pm

Do you intend to cook with gas?
Kitchens produce a lot of water vapour when cooking. Gas adds water vapour when burning.
This needs to be vented to the outside.
The best way is to have a powerful extractor fan over the hob venting to the outside.
You may have a separate oven? Somewhere else in the room?
If you do, you will find that the cooking smells are not handled at all by the hob vent and having another extractor fan high up above the door top level will help remove these smells.
This high level fan will enable the extractor over the hob to pull in fresh air and will stop the hob from pulling air from the rest of your home

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

ventilation

by welsh brickie » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:08 pm

I agree with perry525 also fit trickle vents to all the windows

CR#61
Labourer
Labourer

by CR#61 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:16 pm

Perry525 wrote:Do you intend to cook with gas?
Kitchens produce a lot of water vapour when cooking. Gas adds water vapour when burning.
This needs to be vented to the outside.
The best way is to have a powerful extractor fan over the hob venting to the outside.
You may have a separate oven? Somewhere else in the room?
If you do, you will find that the cooking smells are not handled at all by the hob vent and having another extractor fan high up above the door top level will help remove these smells.
This high level fan will enable the extractor over the hob to pull in fresh air and will stop the hob from pulling air from the rest of your home

there will be a gas range cooker with an extractor fan vented to the outside also all the new windows have vents,so i take it i do not need to put another hole in me wall foe ventilation.

thanks for the replies :D

CR#61
Labourer
Labourer

by CR#61 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:23 pm

there will be a range cooker with an extractor vent to the outside all the new windows have vents so i take it i dont need anymore ventilation in the kitchen,many thanks :D

DevilDamo
Tradesman
Tradesman

by DevilDamo » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:20 pm

As well as background ventilation, you will need to provide mechanical ventilation capable of extracting 30 litres per second, if combined within a cooker hood or 60 litres per second everywhere else.

CR#61
Labourer
Labourer

by CR#61 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:39 pm

DevilDamo wrote:As well as background ventilation, you will need to provide mechanical ventilation capable of extracting 30 litres per second, if combined within a cooker hood or 60 litres per second everywhere else.

im new to all this so what is meant as background ventilation ?

the extractor hood is mechanical and will be vented to the outside.
extraction rate,external pos 1 374 3/H
pos 2 495 3/H
pos 3 650 3/H

extraction rate,internal pos 1 251 3/H
pos 2 311 3/H
pos 3 355 3/H

havent got a clue what this means :) is it good enough ?

all windows are vented

many thanks :D

DevilDamo
Tradesman
Tradesman

by DevilDamo » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:20 am

Background ventilation relating to trickle vents within windows or air bricks. If you don't have any openable windows, then there are other ways to comply.

I'm not sure what those rates refer to either. Your best bet is to get in contact with the fan manufacturer and ask them the products extraction rates.

Ethan003
Labourer
Labourer

by Ethan003 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:36 pm

Hello,
Sorry its been so long since I posted. I just returned from Iraq and am getting out of the Army next week. I have designed and started building a mobile kitchen trailer that is fully self contained with hot and cold running water and an on board 10k generator, It is designed after the Army's CK. I have run into a problem with ventilation and was wondering if maybe you guys and gals might have an Idea on what would be best for me. My trailer is 8 ft wide by 18 ft long and is 7ft from floor to ceiling. I am not sure where I can purchase a ventilation hood for a mobile kitchen from but if anyone knows I would be greatful

Thanks

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2024 8:59 pm