New toilet constantly blocking
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

13 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
morsing
Apprentice
Apprentice

New toilet constantly blocking

by morsing » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:56 pm

Hi, we got a new bathroom fitted in our holiday home which we're planning to let out. We immediately noticed that the outlet was not only very small but does an almost 180 very sharp U-bend at the bottom.

This is the Soho range toilet from Bathstore.com and we've since had a look around the shop and found that only one of their toilets had a proper sized outlet. Is this some new modern thing that the hole has to be so tiny?

Anyway, the plumber who installed it, a very experienced bathroom fitter, also commented on the tiny outlet. Or worst fears have since been realised as even just a handful toilet paper and nothing else will block it solid.

We've spoken to Bathstore who claims they've sold thousands of Sohos without a single complaint!

So what is it with these modern small-hole toilets and how do other people get them to flush?

Thanks
Henrik

Mr Makeshift
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Mr Makeshift » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:23 pm

Check the fall of the outlet pipe (if u can see it). Maybe your new toilet is slightly lower and decreased or even reversed the angle of fall. Modern toilets also flush less water than older ones therefore you may find yourself having to flush twice as they don't shift "stuff" as well as your old one.
If things still aren't working - just change your toilet again! But take a GOOD look at the design first!

ngoziince
Labourer
Labourer

Bathstore Soho toilet blocking too

by ngoziince » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:52 pm

Hello my Soho toilet keeps blocking in the same way as well for the same reason - i.e. the toilet bowl has a tiny outlet - not big enough for solid waste to be flushed through. I clear it with a stick. Bathstore are replacing it but if they are all the same then it sounds as though I will need to buy another brand. It would be useful to know how many other pepole are having this problem with these particular problems - as I suspect that people are just quietly changing them without complaining - due to embarrasment. Do you want to update me on what you did next?

hexagon3
Labourer
Labourer

Re: New toilet constantly blocking

by hexagon3 » Wed May 02, 2012 4:46 pm

We have experienced exactly the same problem with our Bathstore Soho toilet. They claim they have had no other complaints. I would be interested in what action you took to resolve it.

shinyhappy
Labourer
Labourer

by shinyhappy » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:09 am

Just wanted to add that having the same issues as described above with the Bathstore Soho toilet. Our pipe also does a 90 degree turn out the back. Solid waste, or a good bit of paper blocks up the toilet. Just had to use the stick method to release. Not nice. Guess will look to change and see how good the Bathstore customer service policy is. TBC.

hexagon3
Labourer
Labourer

by hexagon3 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:35 pm

After many emails/ phone calls/ letters of complaint / threats of escalated action, the Bathstore finally refunded the cost of the toilets. Of course this did not cover the cost of the labour to put them in, take them out and get another brand of toilet (ideal standard) which isn't nearly as nice looking but at least it flushes. Also the stress and hassle involved. I will not be buying from the Bathstore again!

cfb
Labourer
Labourer

by cfb » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:30 pm

Hi,
Having read the posts, unfortantley not before buying the Soho toilet. The same problem with the sharp waste angle arose. Well to summarisize a busy 6 months of chasing Bathstore and doing everything they said and tried to blamed (Us, our fitters, even our waste being abnormal, when its my 3 year old daughters bathroom!) I eventually proved it was the toilet and got a full refund. Although for the hours and hours of work involved it really needed to be double and they did not repay for the extra work the fitter had to do to prove it was not him! Like many of you I will never buy Bathstore again!

Film Man
Labourer
Labourer

Bathstore SOHO Toilet

by Film Man » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:58 pm

Two years ago we had our bathroom completely renovated and had the "SOHO" toilet installed. From day one we had problems of even modest amounts of toilet paper not being flushed away. We thought it was us and have had two different plumbers come and try to fix the problem, one even replaced the siphon / innards of the water reservoir, but that didnt work.

We have had to live with having to flush a rubbish bin or two, full of water down the toilet, every time someone uses it and thats even our four year old! Yes these close coupled toilets use less water 6 litres, but its nothing to do with the water volume. Its the extremely small outlet and bend which causes the problem, at least that is what our plumber has told us.

Amazingly when you speak to Bathstore Technical Assistance, they profess to now know anything about this problem, nor have they "EVER" spoken to any other customer about this. its honestly disgusting. If you have a problem, which there obviously is, put your hand up, acknowledge that there is an issue and deal with it. Thats what I tell my kids, i don't have to tell a big company do I? Its dreadful how you can spend £1,000's with Bathstore and for peanuts they try and wash their hands of the problem. The person I spoke to at Head Office, apart from telling me that he'd never heard of the problem, honestly could not have been less concerned. Dreadful service.

The worst aspect to the whole farce is that they are still selling the same SOHO toilet in the store. I dont know if they have made a modification, but I wouldnt buy another one unless I wanted to use a bucket of water and a plunger everytime someone went to the toilet!!!

Mevansevans
Labourer
Labourer

by Mevansevans » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:41 pm

Hi, I bought Soho toilets in 2011 and have put up with them blocking. In the end we had to replace them as we couldn't put up with them any longer. We reported this at the time but were fobbed off with the same "we sell thousands of these toilets with no complaints " which I've just had again in writing. Just wondering if anyone has any advice for this long customer service journey which I see some of you have been on. Thanks.

terry38102
Apprentice
Apprentice

by terry38102 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:02 pm

i seen bathstore on watchdog tonight with badly fitted bathrooms etc so might be worth writing into them if you still have problems.

mick560
Labourer
Labourer

by mick560 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:12 pm

we bought a MAINE toilet from VICTORIA PLUMB and its been hell, it gets blocked every time with STUFF the hole is far too small for it to go through, when we have to push it through with a brush there is no surrounding space at all and it makes an awful mess, not only is it too small, there is a barrier it has to go over as well, plus the shape of the pan is much steeper than our old toilet, i think if we did u shaped poos about as thick as chipolata sausages we might have a chance. This really is not hygienic to be having to clean out all the time, there must be many more people with this problem ?

melving.crane
Apprentice
Apprentice

by melving.crane » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:44 am

Hello Henrik, you've shared a problem that's almost similar to mine. I've installed a guest house toilet recently. And after installing I've notified that the toilet have a very small hole and I've right considered replacing it.

mick560
Labourer
Labourer

by mick560 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:57 am

hi, yes it will need replacing, it will be nothing but trouble for you, i am trying to get a replacement toilet from victoria plumb, i have made complaints but they are very unhelpful and i am having to contact the trading standards department.

13 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 5:08 am