USB heated electric blanket
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Zacccc
Ganger
Ganger

USB heated electric blanket

by Zacccc » Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:10 pm

I want to buy a USB heated portable electric blanket to use while watching TV. Is it possible to run this via a mains adaptor with USB ports or are these ports only for charging items with USB connectors? Thanks.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: USB heated electric blanket

by ericmark » Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:08 am

I am sure it is, but USB is max around 2 amp, at 5 volt, so 10 watt, this is so little heat, only likely to work as a hand warmer.

Zacccc
Ganger
Ganger

by Zacccc » Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:00 pm

ericmark wrote:I am sure it is, but USB is max around 2 amp, at 5 volt, so 10 watt, this is so little heat, only likely to work as a hand warmer.

Thanks for your reply. I'm not well up on these matters but if it's a mains plug wouldn't that mean that it's 240v and not 5? But also, wouldn't your answer lead me to conclude that portable electric blankets can't be powered via a USB connection, whereas there are hundreds of such USB powered blankets for sale online?

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:47 pm

USB devices all run at 5v, NOT mains.

I have also been reading some reviews of varying USB heated blankets.
They all have the same conclusions, they get warm, not hot, often said blankets are small in size, the bigger ones only get warm in a few places, not all over.

None of them state wattage, but I did find one that clearly said "Voltage: 5V2A" which as erichmark pointed out, equates to a mere 10 watts.

A lot of them say how warm/soft the material is, obviously this will help keep the heat in.

Why don't you buy one and post back your conclusions.

Zacccc
Ganger
Ganger

by Zacccc » Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:42 pm

Mr White wrote:USB devices all run at 5v, NOT mains.

I have also been reading some reviews of varying USB heated blankets.
They all have the same conclusions, they get warm, not hot, often said blankets are small in size, the bigger ones only get warm in a few places, not all over.

None of them state wattage, but I did find one that clearly said "Voltage: 5V2A" which as erichmark pointed out, equates to a mere 10 watts.

A lot of them say how warm/soft the material is, obviously this will help keep the heat in.

Why don't you buy one and post back your conclusions.

Thanks very much for your helpful answer but in view of what you've said I don't think I'll buy one. But I'll ask around and see what people think who've bought one.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:17 am